Saturday, November 7, 2009

Making a Puppy Feel Better



Not too long ago I got sick. The vet didn't know what was wrong with me but I felt real bad. He gave me an antibiotic to take for 10 days and although it made me feel better it also made my stomach feel sick. I kept vomiting bile every other day or so...usually after going a long time without eating.
Luckily for me my Mom knows something about herbs and she helped me out a lot. She always gave me my medicine after I ate my breakfast or dinner which was good. But sometimes I still felt sick later. So to stop me from feeling sick she gave me Peppermint capsules and an herb called Marsh Mallow. (she calls them puppy pills and they go down easy with butter) Each is made from the actual plant, no chemicals. Mom is really into going the natural way. She believes in using herbs instead of synthetic medicines whenever possible and I'm glad she feels that way.
The peppermint capsules take away the nauseous feeling that I was getting and the Marsh Mallow coats and soothes my stomach so the medicine is less likely to irritate the lining of my stomach. And the best part is the herbs don't stop the medicine from working..they just make me feel normal while it's working.
So when Mom gave me the herbs I felt like normal again. I didn't vomit anymore and I didn't try eating Mom's mint plant outside anymore. Mom also uses another herb called Slippery Elm to sooth the stomach but she doesn't have any in the house right now. Marsh Mallow works just like the Slippery Elm.

Bell and I don't eat commercial dog food either. Mom says it's nothing more than garbage in a bag. She says it's full of horrible stuff that will give us cancer so she makes all our food. We eat the same foods humans eat....like dogs used to be fed before they started making dog food in the 50's. Back then families fed their dogs the leftovers from their own dinner and dogs were much healthier. So that's what Mom does. She makes dinner with a little bit more for us. We eat meats, a small amount of vegetables, and a small amount of grains. Most of our meals are meat. We need the protein because we are still growing and because dogs are carnivores. That means that we are really meat eaters and are not well equipped to eat a lot of vegetables or grains. Our stomachs can't really process it easily...so we don't get much veggies or grains.
Mom says in the wild we'd be eating mostly raw meat and bones, which is a natural diet for a wolf. I'm sure glad I don't live in the wild because I don't like raw meat and wolves scare me!

Mom gives us plain, unflavored Greek yogurt every day too. She says it has something called probiotics in it that helps our digestion. Mom won't give us the flavored yogurts because it has a lot of sugar in it and that's not something we need. I don't care...I love the unflavored yogurt. Bell always eats hers really fast so she can try to get some of mine but Mom makes her sit down and wait. She says it's not polite to steal food from someone's bowl. Once I'm finished Bell and I switch bowls to get the last little bit. We love yogurt! And we always have a yogurt beard afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment