Sunday, March 14, 2010

NOT just another day....

On any given day coming home to two young dogs with tons of energy can be a challenge. Some days it's lovely to come home to two happy go lucky little fools with not a care in the world. They can really perk up an otherwise ordinary day. But then sometimes I come home to disaster and this was one of THOSE days.

On the way home from work I stopped at one of the local grocery stores. Justin is always home before me so I knew a quick stop wasn't going to be a problem for the pups bladders. This day I had an idea there may be trouble when I saw a half full bucket and a mop on the deck. But the sight and smell that greeted me as I walked in the door was much more than I expected. Instantly it clicked in my head that now I was in for it. The dogs were penned within the dinning room area which has been converted to their pen area since I got them. They looked happy as hell. Tails wagging wildly and tongues hanging out...so happy to see Mom. But they weren't in their pens which was odd...just in the same area. The house had a bizarre smell that I couldn't identify right away so I called out for Justin.

He was sitting calmly in the living room with a look on his face that said I've had it. He told me he came home to find Nicki had had diarrhea in her pen. That in itself is cause for alarm in my book but the story got worse. He had taken them out of the pens and put them in the kitchen while he tried to assess the situation and determine how to proceed with the clean up. Before he knew it Nick had gone again on the kitchen floor and because he didn't see her do it he thought she had vomited as well. The kitchen had become a war zone in a matter of seconds and he decided he had to tackle that job first. This explained the mop and throw rug being out on the deck. But the smell....why was that still there? Well Justin explained that after taking care of that mess he just couldn't handle the rest of it and had penned them into the dinning room area to await my home coming. Mom's are always better in these situations. I was grateful that he had tried to clean up at all actually and I knew I had to tackle the rest of the mess immediately.

It took me over two hours to get the house back to some level of clean. I had to wash each dog first (not something they enjoy) and pen them in the kitchen while I tackled the disgusting mess in the pens. As I was working both dogs were watching me from the kitchen, totally happy but probably wondering why they weren't being fed yet. At first I thought it was only Nick's pen that needed cleaning but after working on that for an hour...yes, an hour! I decided that I might as well change Bell's bedding while I was at it. Well sweet little Bell had decided to take a dump in her pen as well but had hidden it in the towel so that was a surprise to me as well.

The bathroom was a disaster area with pools of water on the floor; dog hair every where; soaking wet towels; spilled shampoo and enough steamy air to make my hair look like I was at clown tryouts. Everything in the pens had to be thrown out or washed to death in hot soapy water. I didn't even try to save the towels in the pens but the toys I had to wash. I was thoroughly grossed out WAY before I was finished with the job. I kept telling the dogs that I didn't like them and was intending to keep only mice from now on...mice being a hell of a lot less maintenance than they were. They just continued smiling and wagging their tails at me. They don't have a very large vocabulary yet so I'm sure they had no idea what I was saying to them but at the moment I really meant it!

Eventually the mess was cleaned up, the house smelled clean, the dogs were fed and my night was over. I had no time to do much of anything else but wonder what had given Nick such a bad case of diarrhea in the first place. With the amount of non-edible things they eat outside and the variety of toys they chew to death...it could have been anything that set her off. I was just glad it was all over finally.

Kaylee got even with them for me the following day. While playing with them both they decided to fight over one toy bone even though they each have their own. Kaylee discovered a way to let each of them have their bones and stop them from fighting over them at the same time. She stuck their bones in their collars! I was so shocked to see it but burst out laughing as each dog tried to get the bone out of their collars! Nicki eventually did get her bone out of her collar...clever dog. But Bell stole it and ran away with it anyway.

Sometimes life is very strange and hectic around me but moments like that make it so much better. (sigh....)




No comments:

Post a Comment