Monday, March 1, 2010

Puppy Teeth

Some months ago, when I brought the pups home and we all settled into a daily routine, I started finding small white things on the carpet. I could hear them when I vacuumed sometimes and I didn't pay any attention to it. After all with all the people coming and going in my house and two rowdy pups romping around, there is bound to be any number of weird things on the floor.

Then one day while the pups were playing in the living room I heard one of them chewing on something. It was clicking around in her mouth. I don't recall which pup it was at the time. Like any good mother, I spend a lot of anxious moments fishing out inedible objects from their mouths so this was just par for the course for me. To my surprise it was a tooth! A baby puppy tooth! I looked at it for a bit; it was a very white little puppy tooth. I had never seen one (outside a dogs mouth) before. I've had other puppies before and I know they lose their baby teeth but somewhere a long the line I just never saw one. They always just seemed to vanish and suddenly the pup has a mouth full of adult teeth. So I was interested in seeing this one.

I showed it to Justin and KC and they promptly informed me that they had been finding them too. And in fact they had started a COLLECTION of them! Sure enough, there was a baggie stuck to the refrigerator door with puppy teeth in it! How had I missed that??!! They told me they started the collection some weeks ago and were waiting to see how long it would be before I noticed it. I guess you can stick anything on my fridge and I won't notice it right away. I wonder how many other people are like that? You know, you get used to the stuff you have up there and you just don't really look anymore.

Well the pups no longer have any baby teeth in their mouths. They are almost 11 months old now and both of them have strong healthy white adult teeth. So I decided their baby teeth have adorned my fridge long enough; it's time to throw them away. But I couldn't let a piece of their childhood slip away without documenting it so below is a picture of the baby teeth that we collected. There's only a few there so they must have eaten the majority of them. And the dark areas are not decay. It's a little bit of dried blood. In that respect at least they are just like human children. You don't get the adult teeth without a little bit of pain. I'm just glad I didn't have to tie a string to a door knob to get them out!


No comments:

Post a Comment