Sunday, October 25, 2009

Nicki's Sick

Commentary from Nicki:

I got sick! Mom took really good care of me but boy did I feel bad!
I'm not sure what happened to me. When I came home from Gramma's house last Tuesday night I didn't feel too good when I went to bed. Mom asked me if I was ok but I just hung my head and looked at her. She petted my head and rubbed my ears for a while...that felt good. I went to sleep.
When I woke up I felt even worse. I didn't want to go out to pee; I didn't want to eat; I didn't even want to stand up. Mom had a really worried look on her face and she spoke very soothingly to me. Eventually I had to get up to go pee...and Mom was insisting anyway.

I sat outside my pen and watched Bell eat. I didn't feel like eating or even going into the kitchen. I just felt really crappy.
Mom made me a special breakfast of broth and chicken. I love chicken so I decided to eat that. It was pretty good but I just wanted to go back to sleep after that. Before I fell asleep I heard Mom talking to Aunt KC about maybe staying home from work. When I woke up KC was here and Mom had gone to work. That was ok because I just wanted to sleep anyway.

When Mom got home from work she was really worried about me. She made me get out of my pen to go pee...I didn't make it all the way to the lawn. I peed on the deck. Mom didn't seem to care. She carried me down the steps to the lawn and I did some more...just to make her happy.
When I went back in Mom wanted me to eat but I didn't feel like it. Bell ate all her food. I laid down in front of my pen instead and told Bell to leave me alone...I don't want to play. Bell kept jumping on me anyway until Mom made her stop.

I heard Mom on the phone talking to the veterinarian's office. She was going to take me to see him again tomorrow morning. I didn't even get excited about it. I felt too crappy to get excited about anything. Mom decided to sit next to me and pet me and talk for awhile. I was too tired to pay much attention. I couldn't even hold my head up. I think Mom had tears in her eyes but I don't know why.

Mom brought my food dish over to me and fed me small amounts at a time from her hand while I stayed laying down. That was really nice of her. I was hungry after all but just too tired to bother getting up to eat. Seems like there was more chicken in there again. I like chicken! Mom used a tiny little glass to give me water after I ate. I didn't really like that but she'd been so nice to me I decided to play along. Water is good...but chicken is much better. After the water Mom was back on the phone again. Now she told me we were going to the vet tonight. That meant I had to get up again. I really didn't want to get up anymore so Mom carried me to the car. I slept all the way there.

This man was a different vet from the last time. He seemed nice. He layed on the floor with me for awhile too! And he gave me biscuits. I like that but only if he brought them to me. I didn't want to go to get them...that would mean I had to get up and I didn't want to do that. For a little while he had me walk down the hallway but I didn't feel good at all so I sat down and just looked at him. Leave me alone now ok buddy? I just want to lay down for awhile. Then some nice girls came in and took blood out of my vein. They kept telling me how good I was...I already know THAT. And it seemed to be a big deal that I wanted to lay down...everybody kept trying to get me to come to them. I put my head in Mom's lap instead.

Finally we got back in the car to go home. When we got home Mom gave me a little pill to chew...it tasted ok so I ate it and it made me feel a little bit better. Then I headed straight to my pen so I could go to sleep. Mom said she would be on the couch for the night if I needed anything. A couple of times I saw her looking at me but she didn't say anything.....so I went to sleep.



Bell's commentary:

Nicki got real sick last week and she's still not as much fun as she normally is. She wouldn't play with me at all last week...even when I jumped right on top of her! Mom put me in my pen after I did that.
I kept asking Mom for Nicki's food but she wouldn't give it to me. She fed it to Nicki by hand...the whole thing! And Nicki hardly talked to me for days. I had to play with all the toys all by myself! It wasn't as much fun at all. I like it best when Nicki steals every toy I want until I chase her and we play tackle. You can't play tackle by yourself.

Nicki is feeling better now but she's still not the same yet. She makes funny noises in her throat and sometimes she throws up some of her food. And I've noticed that she's getting some extra things to eat that Mom won't give to me. I tried to eat Nicki's food too because she was eating too slow. Mom caught me and I had to drop it. She keeps catching me every time I try anything!

Nicki and I are going back to see the vet on Friday. I think the vet is more interested in seeing Nicki but I get to go too. Mom says I have one more shot to get and they want to do another test on Nicki. Mom says we're getting to be very expensive. She says Nicki is going to be the Million Dollar Dog before she's better. I want to be a Million Dollar Dog too!

No comments:

Post a Comment